Job ID 653
Offered Salary 1000
Career Level Executive
Experience 3 Years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Are you passionate about drawings, 3D models and large machinery? Do you like to be close to operations by working on all kinds of systems and equipment? We are looking for a mechanical engineer who wants to contribute to the efficiency and reliability of our train fleet’s mechanical systems as part of a small, versatile team.
In this Mechanical Engineer position, your main mission is to extend the life of our rail equipment to ensure the safety of our passengers and the reliability of our rolling stock. You will be responsible for making configuration changes within our passenger cars and locomotives as well has taking care of refurbishment programs.
The advantages of working for VIA Rail:
- The most reputable company and top employer in transportation
- The opportunity to develop in a key position.
- A workplace who fosters health and well-being for all our employees
- A work environment focused on employment equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Generous benefits (employer pays 100% of insurance for you and your family)
- Unlimited access to a telemedicine service
- A great pension plan – the employer contributes up to 7%!
- Train passes for employees and their families.
What are the responsibilities of a mechanical engineer at VIA Rail?
- Prepare technical documentation (BOM, drawings, 3D models, procedures, technical specifications, etc.)
- Improve the efficiency and reliability of mechanical systems, determine causes of failures and recommend design improvements.
- In collaboration with other groups, define maintenance requirements and update maintenance programs.
- Ensure that system safety aspects are met during the design process.
- Act as a liaison with contractors and shop personnel and other groups
- Evaluate technical information submitted by consultants, contractors, manufacturers and suppliers and participate in acceptance testing.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with at least 3-6 years of relevant experience
- Member of the OIQ
- Practical experience in mechanical engineering, including project engineering, component and system design, analysis of technical problems (mechanical and electromechanical), development of solutions, implementation of new technologies and preparation of specifications in an industrial environment.
- Experience with system reliability concepts and maintenance programs
- Knowledge CAO, SolidWorks, Autocade, and office suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both official languages
- Strong work organization skills
Join the best transportation employer in Canada!